Our club has a long and proud history and association with Bulimba and the lower reaches of the Brisbane River. The club has produced many State and National champions, and an Olympic Representative at two Olympics.
The club was formed in 1921, when a group of sailing enthusiasts got together and formed the "Hamilton Sailing Club". Initial fleets were 16ft Skiffs, and this class has sailed continuously at the club ever since. The name was eventually changed to the Brisbane 16ft Skiff Club.
Boats were rigged at various boatyards around Bulimba and meetings were held at a number of venues around town. The clubhouse was opened at it present site on Bulimba Point in 1953, originally lowset, and later raised to create boat storage. The clubhouse was constructed largely with voluntary labour from club members and supporters. Two major redevelopments have since occurred, an extension of the club just prior to the club hosting the Australian Skiff Championships in 1970, and a further extension by addition of a magnificent deck in 2003. The deck has become a popular spot for post race drinks and hard luck stories, as well as being a popular venue for functions, a great source of revenue for the club.
In the 1960's, the club recognised the need to develop junior sailors, and it joined forces with the Brisbane Junior Sailing Squadron. In 1994, the club merged with it's neighbor, the Brisbane Yacht Club, to form the Brisbane Sailing Squadron (BSS).
Some pictures of the visits of the Royal yacht Brittania (1963) and the Tall Ships to the Hamilton and Bulimba reaches of the river are featured here
Last Modified on 05/05/2006 17:26